What is Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy?
Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy (OMT) is a muscle-based therapy approach for children, teens, and adults. We work closely with dentists, orthodontists, and medical doctors to create an individualized plan for you.
OMT consists of:
- Improving resting tongue, lip, and jaw positioning for proper facial development
- Treatment of tongue thrust
- Elimination of oral habits such as thumb sucking, pacifier use, and nail biting
- Neuromusuclar re-education following tongue, lip, and buccal tie revisions
OMT aids in:
- Easier eating, drinking, and speaking
- Creating adequate space for teeth, which can help teeth maintain placement following orthodontic work (braces)
- Improving sleep quality
- Supports the treatment of speech errors
Our therapists continue to take various trainings on Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders and how they impact breathing issues associated with sleep, obstructive sleep apnea, tethered oral tissues (tongue tie, lip tie, buccal ties), and tempromandibular joint discomfort (TMJ).